Friday, January 5, 2024

Daniel Knit Shorts by 5 out of 4 Pattern Company

I use this pattern for my knit shorts because the waistline is fairly straight, unlike some pants patterns that have the waistline much lower in the front than in the back.

I have adapted a pocket method I learned from Stretch n Sew patterns. I made a template for the pocket opening shape by cutting out the side of a dollar-store placemat:











I placed a facing piece, right sides together, onto the pocket opening location of the side of the front pieces, traced the opening shape, stitched the opening shape, trimmed, turned to the inside, and topstitched:




















Then I placed the right side of the pocket piece against the wrong side of the front piece at the pocket opening, pinned well, and used a medium zigzag stitch to hold it down:











Only partly shown are the next few steps of my construction method.

I stitched the back pieces to the front pieces at the side seams.

I hemmed each assembly.









I placed the two assemblies right sides together and sewed the crotch curves at each side.

I placed the back pieces on the bottom, which means folding it a different way, laid the front inseam over the back inseam, and stitched that from hem to hem.

I stitched the elastic into a circle, marked the quarters, and marked halfway between those points. I also marked the top edge of the shorts in the same way. I matched those up with the elastic on the wrong side of the shorts, and pinned them together:









I attached the elastic to the shorts with a large zigzag stitch:











I basted on a folded ribbon or tape of a contrasting color to mark the center back:











I turned the elastic to the inside, pinned well, and stitched it down along the lower edge of the elastic with a medium zigzag stitch:



















I didn't stop there, though. Because I liked how they fit me, I also made a pajama pants with a double-brushed poly (aka DBP). I made the legs the length and width (at the hem) the way I liked in another pair of PJ pants, and did not add pockets:











Here's a close-up of the cute print. The DBP is very soft:









The pockets, hems, and elastic were constructed with my sewing machine. All other seams were constructed with my serger for a quick and easy project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to be notified by email when someone replies to your comment, please click the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.