Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sewing Report - chair cushions

I made the chair cushion covers for my hubby's work chair.  The most amazing thing to me is that I started and completed them within a little over a week (approximately January 6-14, based on the date stamp of my pictures).

I used upholstery samples that a friend had given me.  No two pieces were exactly alike, but four pieces were similar enough that I decided to make two covers.  Each cover has two pieces of fabric.

The thick upholstery fabric required a larger needle than I usually use:

Most stitching (except topstitching) was done with a straight stitch of moderate length:

I started by calculating the size and cutting out the corners.

Then I attached a zipper, first to one side ...

... followed by topstitching ...

... and then to the other side ...

... also followed by topstitching:

Then all the sides were matched up and sewn:

The fabric was pulled out ...

... and the corners were formed ...

... then stitched down ...

... forming box corners, which were trimmed ...

Note that the closing end of the zipper is NOT CLOSED when stitching this corner ...

The zipper should not be closed until the cover has been turned right-side-out:

Here is a finished cover on the chair:













No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to be notified by email when someone replies to your comment, please click the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.