Step Seven is to finish the front and back assemblies.
I came up with a method to fuse the Stiff Stuff (a Lazy Girl product - here) to the front and back pieces. The instructions on the spray adhesive claim that a permanent bond can be formed by a certain method. I decided to use this method on the entire front and back pieces, but I didn't want any overspray inside my house.
So, I found things around the house to make a "paint booth" - recycle bin, long towel, and a found box lid:
With the fabric centered over the Stiff stuff, I placed it as far into the "paint booth" as I could without bending the edges. I pulled half the fabric over itself and sprayed the exposed wrong side of the fabric and half the Stiff stuff with the adhesive. I immediately unrolled the fabric into place, which made it stick to the Stiff Stuff. Then I immediately folded the fabric over itself in the other direction towards the now-stuck side and sprayed the other side of the fabric and Stiff Stuff. I quickly unrolled the fabric back into position on its correct side, and pulled the assembly out of the "paint booth." I laid it on a flat surface, and pressed the pieces together with my hands. After doing the same to the other piece of fabric and Stiff Stuff. I left these alone overnight.
Two weeks later - I know, right? - finding that the pieces weren't all cut the exact same size, I trimmed off some edges:
That's when I remembered to top-stitch the upper edges of the pockets!
I laid the front pocket on the front piece and the back pocket on the back piece, lining up the edges:
I marked the fabric where it turns from the bottom (right side of this picture) to the front (or back), which is 2 1/4 inches. I laid the ruler just shy of that knowing that my marking pencil would not write exactly at the ruler's edge:
I could barely see the pencil marking, so I also used a smooth tracing wheel because - like a Hera marker - it would leave a dent in the fabric:
I pinned the pockets to the front and back pieces along these lines and stitched across, along the lines. Then I drew a vertical center line on each assembly in the same manner, and pinned and stitched them:
On the lighter fabric, I used a different color pencil, which is almost invisible here. The dent in the fabric really helped:
Where the top-stitched edges of pocket pieces meet the edges of the front and back, I stitched close to the edges to hold them in place for future steps (click to see the reverse side, showing that I drew ovals on the picture around these stitches):
I lined up a quilting ruler for cutting out a two-inch square from the bottom corners of both pieces:
I used a rotary blade and scissors to cut out the squares:
Now the front and back assemblies are done
Step Eight is to make the handles.