Monday, March 11, 2019

Cocoon Cardigan

I have had the Cocoon Cardigan pattern from Patterns for Pirates (aka P4P) for over two years, but I recently just got around to making it (two days ago).  Here's the link to the pattern.

I made the cropped (short) version, with bands instead of sleeves. I carefully traced my size onto Pellon Easy Pattern (once known as Pattern Ease), and cut out the pattern pieces.

Because I knew I would be using a striped fabric, I traced the front twice.

I originally wanted to use a light sweater knit from Joann's, with a metallic stripe, but in my haste, I cut four fronts. This did not leave enough for me to cut the back:

So, I pulled out a different thin, sweater knit, also from Joann's:

This fabric curled so badly that I had to try to tame it:

Tip:
I was desperate to tame it, so I sprayed some liquid starch on it, and let it dry.

Tip:
I cut the bands first, since they used the entire width of the fabric. I did not want to cut the body and find later that I didn't have enough fabric width to cut the bands.

Tip:
The pattern calls for the narrow bands to be cut at 5". Because my stripes were approximately 1", I realized that I could cut blue/white/blue/white/blue, followed by white/blue/white/blue/white, making them impossible to match. Another method would be to waste some fabric by skipping a row. My final alternative was to cut them at 6" wide, which is what I did.

Tip:
I laid out the pattern pieces, being careful to line the stripes on the sides:

Tip:
I carefully lined up the pieces, right sides together, at the shoulders and side seams. I used mini clips to hold the pieces together:

After stitching these seams, I hung it up while I worked on the bands:

The fabric, being so thin and fuzzy, seemed to have a life of its own. The starch did not keep it from sticking to itself, and it was difficult to make it fold the way I wanted it. This shows the start of placing the bands wrong sides together:

Tip:
I worked carefully and tediously to get the bands to behave. I used clips to hold them together:

Tip:
I decided which part of the striped bands would face out, and kept in mind to always place that side on the right side of the bodice.

I attached the arm bands first, just to get the pieces out of the way.

I clipped the large band on the bodice, starting at the bottom and working my way up each side:

Because I used my serger, that was the last step:

Here I am, wearing my Cocoon Cardigan:


3 comments:

  1. Perhaps you could find a solid black to use for the back with the metallic? Fun make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute cocoon cardi. I like the short version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really cute cardigan. Looks great with your dress.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when someone replies to your comment, please click the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.