I started with the wrapped collar from Stretch & Sew 333 View B, upper right:
The bodice is from Kwik Sew 2812, View D, upper right:
It was easy enough to merge these two patterns. I traced the size Medium bodice from the Kwik Sew pattern to get the overall shape, then I laid it over the bodice piece of the S&S pattern to get the neckline for size 40:
The collar was traced in size 40 of the S&S pattern:
Notice how I mark notches:
I made this for my mom a few years ago, and found that I had made short bodice pieces. I traced new bodice pieces and placed the old bodice pieces on top so you can see the difference:
I prewashed the lightweight fleece I got at JA's on sale. I use vinegar in the rinse instead of fabric softener, which gives a waxy coating. I used a size 75 stretch needle for the whole project:
All seams were stitched with a 1/4-inch seam allowance. I stitched the back seam of the collar, and the shoulder seams of the bodice:
I turned the collar right side out, then aligned and pinned all the notches:
I matched the front of the collar at center front and pinned the layers together. I also basted the layers together with large zigzag stitches:
With the bodice wrong side out, I marked the center front and center back with pins. On each side of the front, I placed one pin about 1/4-inch forward of the shoulder seam:
I inserted the collar assembly into the bodice with the collar right side out, and the dickie wrong side out:
I started by pinning the center front of the collar to the center front of the bodice:
I pinned the collar to the bodice, matching all notches and adding a few pins in-between:
While pushing the seam allowance towards the bodice, I held it in place with topstitching:
This shows how well the topstitching holds the seam allowances:
Here are the finished dickies. The blue one was made with the shorter bodice pieces:
I know my mom will like these because I asked her what I could make for her, and this is what she wanted.
Here is a camera tip that I used while making this project (and the fleece socks). I took a picture of the stitch settings just before using them.
For seams, I used this stitch - a narrow, longish zigzag:
I used a large, three-step zigzag stitch for topstitching the neck seam allowances. This stitch was also used when tacking the heel seam allowances on the socks (click here):
For ALL the pictures, click here.
Next up - a couple of really easy projects!