Well, yeah. This post shows the finishing steps of my Margo Handbag by Lazy Girl Designs - here.
After attaching the zipper and finishing with topstitching, I laid out the pieces for the next step. The front and back purse body pieces are near me, and the lining pieces are beyond:
I flipped the purse body pieces away from me, aligning the top edges with the lining pieces:
I stitched the top edges together with a 1/4-inch seam allowance:
I opened up the seams, and pressed the seam allowances towards the facing pieces:
Then I topstitched those seams on the lining side:
For the next steps, I had to close the zipper until the zipper pull was near the handles:
I pinned the bottom of the body together, and stitched it:
I pinned that seam open from the right side, and steam pressed it using a scrap of cotton fabric as a pressing cloth
Where the zipper did not hang out, I matched the seams, pinned, and stitched that side:
I pressed all the seams open, and left them to cool with weight on top:
Sometimes I had to fold the purse like origami to get the pressing done, especially when I had a sleeve board inside:
More origami work was required to line up the bottom corners before I stitched them down:
I stitched the ends of the lining seam, leaving an opening for turning:
I carefully pressed this seam open, first one side, then the other:
I pressed the ends of that seam flat before I matched and stitched the corners:
I turned the purse right side out, opened the zipper, and took out all the basting stitches holding the handles straight:
I matched the edges of the bottom lining seam and stiched it closed using and edge-stitch foot:
After stuffing the lining into the purse, I stitched around the top edge of the purse from the inside to hold the lining to the inside:
Here's a close-up shot of the purse:
But wait, there's more!
There's a purse bottom insert that's designed to fit inside this purse - link here:
I cut two pieces of fabric to a certain size, and pressed one end of each into a hem. Then I pinned them right sides together and stitched the remaining edges:
I turned this right side out, inserted the plastic piece, and stitched the end shut:
I placed this inside the purse to help hold the rectangular shape of the bottom:
Here's the inside of the filled purse, including my Kindle:
There are four outside pockets, and each is a home for stuff like keys, phone, and work badge:
I have more projects in the works, and when I'm done, I will certainly share.
I started this bag on October 29, 2014, and finished it on February 1, 2015. It's about time!