Saturday, May 21, 2016

Back after a Slight Delay

All my sewing came to a halt when I had cataract surgery earlier this year.

Even before that, I got a little bit of sewing done.

For example, I stitched two lengths of fleece together to make a king-sized blanket.  This was done of necessity because all the blankets that we saw in the stores were just plain ugly.  I found five yards of this fleece at about the same price as an average blanket at W-M:

I also got caught up in pattern testing for an independent pattern company.

The fact that Stitch Upon a Time needed pattern testers for something my husband was needing - a T-shirt, specifically with long sleeves - was not lost on me.  I joined the pattern-testing world so hubby could have a couple new T-shirts.

The link to the men's Huntsman T-shirt pattern is here.

I sewed for him two long-sleeved shirts and one short-sleeved shirt.

Here is his second shirt, after we finessed the fit:

With inspiration - and scraps - from the top I made my friend, I cut one out for me, too.  Here is my friend's top:

Inspired by the cold weather at the time - mid-February - I cut out two long skirts using McCall's pattern 6654, a basic knit skirt with straight or flare options.  I cut a thinner, but denser, knit with a straight line.  I cut a more open knit as an overlay with a hi-low hem and a slight flare.

Right about this time, I had my first cataract surgery.  Here's a "before" picture. I'd had thick glasses for years:

After two months of not sewing - and, unfortunately, not exercising, also - I went from "can't see far" to "can't see near."  Because of the surgery, I can see colors more clearly now.  Cataracts had changed my perception of colors, and it was a shock to "rediscover" white and colors!

I have a small collection of "readers," which are those eyeglasses you see in drug stores and dollar stores.  I have ordered two pairs of prescription glasses which correct my vision to 20/20, something I'd not had for years.

So, I finally got back into sewing.  I finished my top to match my friend's top.  We went out today as "twins."  Here's my top:

The skirt is still in process.  It was going to be two skirts, but now I think I will make it as one.

Google has this year changed how pictures work, so I had to update the links to my photo albums for my Patterns for Sale page (above).


1 comment:

  1. Isn't cataract surgery something?! I could not believe colors after I had mine when I was 57. I couldn't shut up about it, the sky was blue blue and the trees greeeen. And white - wow. Congrats on the decision and the surgery. Enjoy!

    What fun making the tees, you all look so cute.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when someone replies to your comment, please click the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.