Saturday, March 16, 2013

Searching for Blogger Replacement

Since learning of Google's plans to terminate Google Reader in July, I have signed up for several RSS feed readers to see which I like best.

I selected readers that allow me to read in the cloud, so I don't have to download stuff to fill up my computer.

All the non-google readers I'm showing here did allow me to import all my Google Reader feeds.

Feedly

Feedly allows me to categorize my feeds, shows a count of unread messages in each category, and shows the most recent feeds on top:

... and Feedly does have a search function:


NetVibes

NetVibes allows me to categorize my feeds, shows a count of unread messages in each category, and shows the most recent feeds on top.  This is the Reader view:

... and, in the Widgets view, NetVibes does have a search function:

I found NetVibes themes here, and selected a flower theme:

... which looks like this when installed:

I like the lighter look of this much better than the black!  Themes are also available in  Settings, which is found in the icon at upper right that looks like a cross between a bit of weaving and a small bamboo forest (to the left of Dashboards).

BlogLovin

BlogLovin  allows me to categorize my feeds, shows a count of unread messages in each category, and shows the most recent feeds on top:  There is a "search for blogs" box at the top, but that searches FOR blogs, not within my reader:

What I like least about BlogLovin' is one of its icons - not exactly family-friendly fare:

Blogger

Blogger  allows me to categorize my feeds, shows a count of unread messages in each category, and shows the most recent feeds on top.  It doesn't look like Blogger has a search function:

Google Reader

Google Reader  allows me to categorize my feeds, shows a count of unread mess ages in each category, and shows the most recent feeds on top.  Oh,look!  The Search box - my favroite feature -  is up on the very top left:

My switch seems to favor Feedly and NetVibes for the functions I like best - categories, unread count, and search capabilities.

What are your favorite RSS Reader features?

8 comments:

  1. Great review and very helpful in helping me decide which RSS feed offers the better features.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a fantastic review. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give you an A+ for this - you have saved many of us endless hours of searching for an alternative!!! Thanks...J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this! I've been wondering what to do myself and this is really helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! That bloglovin logo is a terrible turn off! In fact I have been using them and really like the service, but I forgot I had seen that logo at one time. It is not on my feed page so I don't see it usually but that and the search feature have me considering feedly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been reading a blog by Rick who searches out different fixes for computers and such. He also recommends Feedly. Here's his post: http://rickpaulettervjournal.blogspot.com/2013/03/google-reader-is-dead-feedly-is-better.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RickPaulettesRvTravels+%28Rick+%26amp%3B+Paulette%26%2339%3Bs+RV+Travels%29

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been out of the blogging loop for several weeks now, so the whole Google Reader thing took me by surprise! I signed up for Bloglovin', but I've been curious about Feedly as well, and may try that out to see my fave. Thanks for your research; very helpful!

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when someone replies to your comment, please click the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.