Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ironing the Pillowcases

Ironing is important to achieve a professional look.  I have found that only the pillowcases which I've ironed while making them will fold squarely for storage.

I finished the first two pillowcases a couple days ago (click here to see them):

I have shown that turning the hem also forces the pillowcase seam to one side:

By steam pressing this seam to one side along its entire length, the final pressing is neater:

For the final pressing after assembly, I first turn the pillowcase right side out, and poke out the corners with my fingers.  Then I lay the pillowcase on the ironing board with the hem edges matching and the seam to my right.

I start by pressing along the seam, carefully folding along the seam, and press towards the opposite side.  I pull the pillowcase towards me and iron the next section, and so forth, until I get to the seam on the end opposite the hem.  Starting from the right side, I pull on the seam so that it's folded along the seam, and press it, doing these both for about two inches at a time, until I get to the left side.

Here are the last four pillowcases:

I guess this means I can get back to sewing on my dress, huh?!?  (Click here to see the dress project.)

2 comments:

  1. Hi girll. I have trouble bringing up your blog...do you have an email addr, i'm at cocs.loft@gmail.com. Am a comp engineer, think I can help you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Cocos.loft@gmail.com. Typing is not my forte!

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when someone replies to your comment, please click the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.