Yes, I needed a change of pace - a quic-ker pick-er up-per.
I had already bought these fabrics just for making pillowcases - except for the fabric left over from my dress (upper left fabric):
So far, I have finished the white pillowcase liners, shown underneath at the right, and the red print pillowcases. Since this fabric has printing along one edge, I sewed the pillowcases with the printing at the opposite end from the hem so I could cut off the words:
This is my quick version of pillowcases. I use the full width of the fabric, preferably in the 42- to 45-inch range. I always buy more than I need and prewash (washer and dryer) three times before cutting it out. I cut across one end to even the fabric.The liner fabric is shown here with the big ruler ready for the cut:
First I measure 21" from the trimmed edge:
Then I roll up the fabric, skootch it across the cutting mat, and cut another 20" beyond that, for a total length of 41". Here are all my printed fabrics on the ironing board, ready for the next step:
I was able to use a selvedge for the hems of the printed fabrics, but the white fabric had two unfinished selvedges. I serge finished one edge of the liners for the hem.
The fabrics were folded crossways, which folded each selvedge in half. A pin was placed three inches from the selvedge at the cut edge ...
... and at the folded edge:
I used the pins to fold the hem down:
I pinned all along the cut edge:
Here is a pile of pillowcases ready to be stitched:
I stitched them together on the serger, which makes it a really quick project. I started at the hem, leaving a thread tail:
I stitched down the length of the pillowcase, angled in a bit at the end, and stitched off the fabric. I then stitched across the end of the pillowcase, crossing the previous stitching at the side, and tapering in at both ends of that stitching. This tapers in the corners just a little bit. This is when the printed selvedges were cut off:
I used a double-eyed needle to tuck in the thread tails. At the hem, I weave the needle between the hem and the pillowcase, pointing it towards the fold of the hem, and then out:
Once the needle is in place, I thread the tails into the needle and pull it back out.
When the thread tails are too long, I trim them.
Next, I steam press all the stitching, then I pin and press the three-inch hem in place:
I stitched the hems in place along the selvedge edges using my sewing machine:
Here is the end result: