I did some more work on this dress today:
I serged the cut edge of the hem (not shown). I marked the elastic to the length for my size.
I threaded the elastic through the casing and basted the overlap together with big zigzag stitches. When I tried the dress on, the waist was too big, so I pulled the elastic back out, removed the basting, overlapped it more, and basted again. Now the waist fits me correctly:
When I tried the dress on, hubby and cousin told me that it looked like a house dress:
Oh, no! It really does look like a house dress!
If you look carefully, you can see that my under-clothes are showing under my arms!
Oh, well! What I have is another well-made wadder!
When I figure out what went wrong, I will share that.
I have a previous wadder that's been hanging in a closet for many months. I will need to share that, too!